While the legend of 420 is deeply rooted in cannabis culture, April 20th has become the unofficial holiday for marijuana advocates everywhere. Today, adult use is allowed in 9 states, medical use is permitted in 29 states, and 64% of American’s support full federal legalization. With prohibition dying, paying homage to the right and the privilege of consuming cannabis has never been more popular. Regardless of where you are, there is likely an event near you to celebrate, campaign, and participate in this historical movement.
This is also prime season for cannabis tourism, as growing support for cannabis legalization has created a tourism boom. Travelers from every other state in the nation flock to legal states for the bucket list opportunity to partake without fear or judgment. This annual cannabis crusade to consume presents huge tourism opportunities for the municipalities willing to embrace them. From concerts and festivals to education and politics, events to promote, celebrate and advocate for cannabis are scheduled from coast to coast.
While California has long been a pioneer, legalizing medical marijuana in 1996, recreational sales just kicked off in January of this year. Giving many more Californian consumers reason to celebrate 4/20 this year, there are dozens of events scheduled throughout the entire week.
•High Times Cannabis Cup 420 – LA – music, exhibitors, education, cooking expos, and more. High Times has more experience than anyone in cannabis culture. This one you won’t want to miss.
• 420 Hippie Hill – this San Francisco tradition in Sharon Meadows area of Golden Gate Park has taken place annually for years.
• – This 2-day event in Los Angeles claims to be 60,000 square feet of a psychedelic wonderland bringing adults back to childhood. Think marijuana inspired fun-house including a giant coloring book and an adult-sized pillow fort. Get the VIP ticket for an unlimited chicken nugget and tater tot bar!
• – this event in Apple Valley has been a 4/20 music festival tradition for the last 20 years.
• Bayked by the Bay – presented by Urbn Leaf. A San Diego event filled with music, munchies, and more at the Embarcadero Marina Park North.
• Up in Smoke Burlesque – this year marks the 40th anniversary of this iconic stoner event, so if you’re near Long Beach, go see it in a sexy new light.
• 420 High’Ke – prefer to do your celebrating while out enjoying nature? This journey will take you through one of the most scenic trails in Southern California. Edibles, vape cartridge and one pre-roll joint provided!
• 1st Annual 420 Fest – San Francisco – Looking to start a new tradition? Head out to Mission Dolores Park on the afternoon of 4/20 to join other like-minded cannabis supporters at this first edition festival for the Bay area.
• Classes Galore – If you’re looking to learn more about the cannabis industry, want to take an elevated yoga class, or maybe partake in a “puff and paint” event. Check out PotGuide’s comprehensive list of classes and events all over the state.
The state that started it all. The pilgrimage to Colorado for 4/20 is a tradition for many cannabis consumers. With all the events scheduled, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in Colorado.
•The Official 420 Rally – Denver – Lil Wayne and Lil Jon are coming to Civic Park for the annual free concert and cannabis rally. This is THE event for 4/20.
• Colorado International Cannabis & Hemp Film Festival – documentary styles and fictional projects with positive messages about Cannabis Hemp.
• Colorado 420 Fest – a 2-day event in Colorado Springs with hot dab rigs for your concentrates and vendors selling everything under the sun which is cannabis related. BYOC.
• 420 Week at Tetra Private Lounge & Garden – Denver’s first public consumption lounge, Tetra Lounge is hosting events all week long.
• – this 3-day event touts over 100,000 square feet of space both indoors and out. Hundreds of vendors, more than 50 nationally recognized tattoo artists, live music and entertainment.
Although recreational sales haven’t begun, there’s still plenty of activity supporting the cause in Massachusetts.
• 1st Annual 420 Ganja Galla – Featured by Canna Bros, this event features an exhibition hall, a cocktail hour, and musical performances in Worcester.
• – Support the cause and eat great food in the process. This benefit in Boston is aimed to help increase awareness of the benefits of marijuana.
• 420 CANNAPALOOZA – a First annual event presented by The Boston Cannabis Co. featuring live music, prizes, vendors, arts, and more.
• - organized, facilitated, and run by the officers and members of the UMass Cannabis Reform Coalition, the oldest student-run drug reform group in the country – music, speakers, politics, and fun. Celebrate with purpose on Saturday, April 21st at the Three County Fair Grounds in North Hampton.
As if Vegas weren’t already the mecca of adult entertainment, adding legal cannabis to the mix took it up a notch in 2017. Those looking to celebrate 4/20 Sin City style… here are a few events for you!
• High in the Sky – This 1-day expo and festival at Desert Pines Golf Club starts at 4:20 on 4/20. Enjoy this outdoor festival with music, food, and shopping in a beautiful, green setting in the desert.
• 420 Roll It Up – UNLV – For those looking for a music fix can find Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony in Vegas this year.
This state’s first official year of recreational sales started in 2015 with Oregon Ballot Measure 91. Look for these events if you want to celebrate 4/20 in the Beaver State.
• 420 Fashion Week – Live music, fashion, and beautiful models. Get a jump on the 4/20 week with this fashion extravaganza on April 17th at the Northwest Cannabis Club in Portland.
• 420 Party 2018 – Weed Aficionado – this party at the Jupiter hotel starts at 6 pm on Friday, April 20th
• 4.20 Celebration ft. ExMag – this electronic, future, soul trio is performing at the No Vacancy Lounge in Portland, sponsored by Select, a top-selling cannabis brand in the West.
Also a pioneer in legal cannabis, Washington voted for recreational consumption in 2012. There will be plenty of activities happening in all around Seattle for the green holiday. Check out these events.
• – sponsored by the Green Room and Seattle Hempfest Membership, this festival features food, music, and prizes - starting a 3:00 pm at the Culture Yard in Seattle.
• 420 in the Tri-Cities – Featuring Wiz Khalifa – Toyota Center, Kennewick, WA – a 4/20 regular, Wiz Khalifa always puts on a great show, this one sponsored by The Bake Shop, Weed Bush Lovers, Happy Time, Lucky Leaf, and Royals Cannabis, will not disappoint.
• Bleeding Tree at Skagit Casino – Bow, WA – two full nights of music featuring Katy Perry, ACDC, Lady Gaga, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Coolio, and Sublime. Starts Friday, April 20th at 9 pm.
The Non-Rec States
Now, while you may not be able to consume for recreation in other states, there may be events happening near you anyway. Here are just a few noteworthy events happening in other areas of the nation:
• 5th Annual Go4Twenty Smokefest – While Arizona didn’t vote for recreational marijuana in 2016 when they had the chance, there’s still plenty of support for the herb. This festival takes place at Eddie’s Lounge in Glendale and features giveaways, non-stop live music, food trucks, and more.
• 420 Green Gala: Super Troopers Edition – head out to the Venue in Scottsdale for this fun movie night sponsors by Weedmaps.
• Half Baked: 20th Anniversary – whoa, has it really been 20 years? Get a good giggle at the O Cinema Wynwood in Miami at an anniversary screening of the stoner classic.
• ENDO Sesh 2018 – Get educated with Greenwise.TV. Learn about your endocannabinoid system with speakers, art, vendors, DJ’s and so much more at the Heartwood Soundstage in Gainesville, Florida.
• Cannabash! 2018 – Skating, smoking, music, and vendors. Even help with filling out your application for a medicinal card. Located at the Fallout in Chicago, Illinois.
• 420 Rocks with Comfort Scarcity – If you’re looking for music in the Windy City, head on out to Cheers Live Music in Midlothian for this concert and cannabis fest.
• – This three-part event starts with a Wake-n-Bake infused brunch, a happy hemp hour, and ends with an evening exhale infused dinner and networking.
• Michigan Medical Marijuana Expo – prizes, DJ’s vendors, and even a beauty pageant. This is an all-weekend expo at Rocky’s Pub in Riverview.
Whether you’re traveling for the nation’s favorite “unofficial holiday”, celebrating at home, or looking to join in politically to support the cause and promote the end of prohibition, there’s bound to be a local event near you. For a comprehensive list of things to do around the weekend check out the list of events at or contact your local chapter of NORML to find out how to get involved.